Funerals

With you every step of the way

We’ll always be here to help you through one of life’s most difficult times. A Church of England funeral is available to everyone, giving support before, during and after the service, for as long as it’s needed. You can request a funeral for your loved one in one of our church buildings, or our clergy can conduct a service for you at the cemetery or crematorium.

The funeral director will usually liaise with us in making the practical arrangements for the service itself, and our clergy will meet with the family to plan the content of the service in terms of music, readings, hymns, tributes etc.

Each funeral is as unique as the person who has died, but Christian funerals have the common theme of hope running through them. If the service is at church, our organist will be pleased to play and the choir may be available to sing. It may also be possible to book one of our rooms for refreshments afterwards.

After the funeral, one of our bereavement pastors will be in touch to offer follow-up care and support. In early November we hold an annual service for all those people whose funerals we have conducted in the previous year, and our clergy and pastors are available to pray with and for you.

Neither of our churches has a churchyard for burials but there is a small garden of remembrance at St Boniface church where cremated remains can be interred. Please contact the parish office for more help.

Clergy are happy to meet with you to help you to plan your own funeral, so that your family can be sure they are following your wishes. Please contact us if you’d like to discuss this.

There is lots of helpful information and resources about planning a funeral on the Church of England’s funeral website

A prayer for you if you are mourning
Loving God,
the shadow of death has fallen over me
because someone I love has died.
Be with me through this time,
comfort me with your presence,
and let me see the light of hope,
for you promise eternal life
through Jesus Christ your son,
who died and rose again.
Amen.